Monday, January 28, 2008

Lazy Sunday

After a wonderful evening of seeing old friends on Saturday night, I couldn't for the life of me remove my ass from the couch the next day. Even better was the fact that my wife felt the same way, so there was no nagging to get anything done from her. Aside from going to the bathroom and attending to my and the children's nutritional intake I was a lump all day, drifting in and out of sleep. It was truly the most religious experience I've had since my vasectomy and had a frozen bag of peas on my dingly-danglies and was loaded on Valium and Percocets.

I guess if you think about it, the Buddha might have just been a on a run of lazy "Sundays" for 40 days. You have to admire a culture that will revere pure unadultured procrastination and idleness. Even the greatest leaders of the 20th century took pride in sitting on their asses to get things done. MLK Jr and Ghandi may have been using civil disobedience not because they were peaceful, but they themselves were having a lazy Sunday and simply didn't want to lift a finger, let alone arms, to advance their cause.

I'm being somewhat facetious, of course, but that lazy Sunday was something I needed. I recommend turning into a vegetable every now and then- just be sure to wake up after a while or people will notice you haven't bathed.

No comments: