Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Unsolved mysteries

I love a good mystery, but I need resolution.

It's part of my nature; I can't stand not knowing something. My mother always complained that I asked too many questions. I guess in some ways it makes me nosy, but ultimately my inquisitive desire has led me to greater knowledge. Overall, I don't think that it should be considered a bad thing.

The D.B. Cooper mystery has always fascinated me ever since I learned of the caper as a teen. The idea that someone could jump out of a plane with a substantial amount of money and leave no trace, alive or dead unnerves me to no end. I have to know- who it was, why he did it, what happened to him if he landed safely, what happened if he died and where his body is, etc, etc.

Imagine my delight when I read this morning that it's decent possibility that they discovered his parachute. I have been strangely excited since and have been scouring the internet in hopes of an update. I have also reacquainted myself with all of the kooky theories and crackpots that come out of the woodwork and claim that they know who D.B. really was or that they themselves are the infamous D.B. Cooper.

Like I said, I love a good mystery. But, dammit, I really hope that this parachute leads somewhere. After all, if it doesn't then more questions arise like- why did someone bury a parachute in rural Washington state?!

I should resolve myself to disappointment, however, even if the parachute is proven to be D.B.'s parachute, all it really does is prove that he landed safely. No answers as to his whereabouts or ultimate destination will be revealed. But still, it's something interesting, and it got my inquisitive juices flowing.

And I do love a good mystery.

No comments: