Monday, September 15, 2008

Double digits

Cue the dramatic music-

My oldest son, Jonathan, is 10 today.

He, of course, is happy as a clam and I am happy for him.

But...

I am experiencing a bit of the double digit blues. I am seeing way too many double digit figures for my tastes lately. This year It's been..

25th year since a Philadelphia sports championship (of importance- fuck the Soul)
20th year out of high school
15th year since the Phillies made the World Series
14th year since my business was started
13th year since my mother passed away
10th year of marriage
and now I have a 10 year old son (insert withdraw method joke here)

In hindsight, 10 years ago was the beginnings of me getting my shit together. Having a baby to care for will do that to you. It wasn't an overnight transformation, mind you, but I did start learning quick. I do still have to pretend to know what I'm doing half the time but at least I step up to the plate and get things done now. Quite a change from when it was 2 weeks before Jonathan's due date and I had quit my crappy car sales job in Downingtown.

I was miserable, I hated my boss, the commute was terrible and getting another car sales job is a snap but it was probably the most selfish thing I have ever done. About 2 weeks after Jonathan was born I got off my ass and sold cars in Newtown. Two years previously I eventually swallowed my pride and started to talk to my father again. The business that we started together and my brother was running was starting to really take off, so less than 2 years after Jonathan was born I was able to to come back to the business, buy a house, and starting planning to have another child.

Funny how children change you. I am almost an upstanding and productive member of society.

So, Happy Birthday Jonathan- thanks for making me who I am today. I am so proud of you.

No comments: